Saturday, October 19, 2013

How boat things go

I climbed the mast today.  Maybe I should say I was hoisted up the mast today.  All the way to the tippy top using   a bosun's chair. Nowadays, a bosun's chair is made of tough nylon with lots of ways to be securely fastened in. Traditional chairs were more like a wood plank swing- I'm glad we were able to borrow a tricked out modern day seat!
That said, at the top of the mast, I was tasked with removing to old- I'm not really sure what happened to it- anchor light:

And replace it with the new- albeit cheaper- light:
There are some obvious differences between these two lights- the problem is that I did not know of all of these differences until I came to the top of the mast, removed the original and sat there- up there- wondering how to get the new light where the old light used to be- and that's the way of boats.  Especially when you're a first time boat owner in a new boat.  You never quite know what each project is going to bring.  So I went to the top of the mast and really accomplished nothing useful. Video of the mast climb is coming. 

Me with a go pro on my head

Updated photo from the top of the mast




No comments:

Post a Comment